Monday, June 6, 2016

Post-Election America: My advice for older people


Hi Fernando,
I just finished reading your book published in 2009 It was very eye opening to say the least, and I can see some of the events happening here that you described in Argentina back in 2001.  I am considerably older than you and not exactly in "fighting trim" as they say, but am contemplating what steps I should consider to prepare for the possible future.
I live in a resort community and own a small resort motel that is now only open half the year.  My boys are now grown, so only my wife and I still run the place and in the past 35 years I have had various jobs to make ends meet, but now rely on SSI to do the job.  I am very concerned about the future of America, especially if Trump loses the election!  So I will be very interested in what thoughts you may have.   Thank you for your kind efforts on my behalf
Regards,
Tom
Hello Tom,
I’m glad you liked my book. In it I explain the steps to take so as to prepare for a socioeconomic collapse and following the advice in it will serve you well in case of a worst case scenario in America or even for the slow slide into a 3rd world version of itself. This last one seems to be the current trend and what is most likely to continue.

In your specific case I have the following advice:

1)Try not to worry too much, but do try to keep a tight budget, save as much money as you can and keep working hard. Trump or anyone else, I personally don’t believe it will make much of a difference. I honestly don’t like ANY of the candidates and believe all of them will keep the current trend, benefitting the ones that already have the most while subsidizing the gained wealth of the elite by squeezing the poor and middle class through various methods including one that is particularly vile which is inflation. Inflation is particularly hard on those relying on SSI. In your case you own your own company which is always good so keep it up. A place like that also means you have room for family and friends in case you want them close.

2) Get the necessary tools in case things don’t work out that great. You already have my book. If I may say so myself it’s a great first step to prepare for this kind of thing, including information regarding what you should get. Stock up on food and don’t forget water, medicines and other emergency supplies. Work towards improving your home security, upgrading it as much as you can so as to make it a “hard target”. Having a gun is important, but it’s just as important to learn to fight with it. I already mentioned saving money. You want to have at least a month worth of expenses in cash at hand. Two would be even better.
You mention not being "fighting trim". That’s ok, none of us will be 20 years old forever. This only means its even more important to be armed and it would be good to get used to carrying concealed if you don’t do so already. One thing I’m planning on doing when I’m older is getting used to walking around with a good dog. A good guard dog can help you compensate for age, visibly turning you into a harder target in the eyes of criminals. Walking the dog also helps you exercise and stay fit which brings me to point three.

3) Last but most important. Take care of yourself, body and mind. Be in good terms with your loved ones, enjoy your life as much as you can. Sounds silly but these days so many people forget to just live, always worried about work, money or other personal goals.
Take care of your body. It’s your most important tool and the only one you’ve got. Go for walks, exercise and most of all eat healthy. If your mind and heart are in the right place, and you take care of your body by staying slim and fit, the rest falls into place rather easily.
Good luck and thanks for your email!
FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Don't be overweight. Eat freshly prepared foods with your friends and family. Just mentally it's so valuable. You feel like a champion!