.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Using the Blog

F-

In this great post:

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html

the first commenter wrote:

"I just learned more about survival prep in the hour it took me to read your post, then the four months I've been reading from poser post's."

I agree 100%.  Thanks for the excellent blogging; it was good to hear your commentary on Two Beers as well.  You sound like a rational, well thought out guy.

So, I'm getting used to the idea of a slightly (!) different future (and have always thought that Americans live in a bubble).  I've had a jump on things, as I've always taken care of myself, had a passport (some of the first things you mentioned in today's post), and have had my CCW for a few years now.   I'm also consulting for myself (engineering/programming), and also doing other side jobs (after being laid off over a year ago) and doing OK - and debt free.  I'm very aware that you have to have money to survive, and live a pretty low-overhead lifestyle.  I'm also taking a lot of courses you have suggested; self defense, how to actually *use* a firearm, and have even gotten my ham radio license.  I'm pretty good with my hands, and have learned a bit more about blacksmithing, welding, carpentry, machining, and other useful skills that are fun to learn and are useful.

I was going to ask you some questions on transportation, but a bit of searching around your site (don't get a motorcycle, bicycles are OK, a Jeep Cherokee  for the States) found the answers I was looking for.

Keep up the excellent work!  May you and your family be safe.  

A

As far as currency collapse goes - I have a pre-WW2 Italian Lira bond that my grandfather and grandmother bought, that was worthless after the war.  That alone has convinced me that yes, currencies do go bad.    I hope more people pay attention to their own family histories; that might get them to thinking that it *can* happen...

Hi A, thanks man. Glad to hear that you're finding the blog useful. Its good to know that's you're on the right tracks too, and having fun at the same time! :-)
I have no problem writing about the same topic more than once, new things always pop up,  but sometimes using the search function on the left column or checking the Topics below the search box leads you to a good post regarding your question.
Take care and good luck!

FerFAL

3 comments:

Greg in CA said...

My Croatian grandfather told stories of money failures after WW1, & food shortages from the allied blockade.

1 slice of bread was cut into three pieces, 1 each for 3 days.

Then the daily pieces were cut into 3 smaller pieces: breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Shortly after that the family went to America.

Anna said...

Several of my close relatives, including a parent, went through the Lebanese civil war in the 1970s-80s. Before the war there were ~10 Lebanese lira to the dollar. After, 1000. Today, 1500.

And they all moved to America as well.

Anonymous said...

So the money goes broke - the people don't trust the money, and will spend it on anything tangible.

What did the real rich folks do? Did all their money evaporate, or did they have offshore accounts, or tangible assets, or what?

I read a book about preparing for hard times - don't remember the exact title - and he said that the REAL wealthy, "old money" families did well to own a remote farm or agricultural property, that they could retreat to in tough times. The Rockefeller and other Carnegie families didn't go broke during the depression, so what did they do to preserve wealth? (The Kennedy family made their money smuggling booze during prohibition!)

I'm not any kind of farmer (and I don't live close enough to any border to be a smuggler) but I could see owning a few acres out somewhere remote. Possibly a farm that I could rent out to a tenant, and stash a mobile/modular home on it for my use.

I have a rental property (a townhouse) that generates a little bit of income, but if times get tough, and it stays vacant and a drag on my resources, I'll have to sell it. If I sold it, what would be an investment that would do better? For that matter, what should I do with my savings account - buy real estate? Stocks? I'm sure that somebody knows what stocks do well during tough times, but it isn't something that I have encountered in my reading. Maybe Munitions and arms Manufacturing companies?