.

Friday, June 29, 2018

The Walking Dead Gun: Rick's Colt Python and holster


The TV Series “The Walking Dead” has introduced an entire new generation of people to the legendary Colt Python 357 magnum revolver. While many of the old timers blame the TV show for yet another peak in price, the truth is these guns have always been expensive and wont get any cheaper any time soon… and maybe that’s one of the best reasons to own one.

Personally, I’ve been into firearms since I was a kid, heck, not even a teen yet. I would see those ads in gun magazines and sure enough there was the Colt Python.  The finest revolver ever made. The best looking one in my eyes. Years went by, guns came and went and the Python eluded me. At first way out of my price range, then money going to other things, others guns that I felt I had more of a need for, but eventually I got myself the beautiful 6” stainless steel snake you see here.


Still with “The Walking Dead” in mind I set out looking for a rig for my new snake. I got a nice belt on ebay but turns out the holster used in the Tv series is actually for a 4” gun. It seems the props guys just cut the bottom and they felt having the barrel stick out wasn’t that big a deal, maybe added to the zombie theme or maybe displayed the gun more. I’ll be damn if I have 2” of my gun sticking out, no way!

Fortunately enough, at about the same time I got an email from Luke over at craftholsters.com offering to try out one of their holsters. Sure enough I found exactly what I needed at their website. Nice Italian made, black genuine leather holster covering the entire muzzle as its supposed to.  The holster is well made and the website is comprehensive yet easy to navigate to find just what you’re looking for. Shout out to them and keep them in mind if you’re in need of a holster.
https://www.craftholsters.com/colt-python-6-holsters










So why get one, or not?
I wont bore you with a history lesson here. The Colt Python was introduced in 1955, the same year Smith and Wesson was taking up the limelight with its Model 29, "the most powerful handgun in the world". The Python was intended to be Colt’s “top-of-the-line” revolver, with considerable hand fitting going into each gun. It succeeded at that. The Python trigger an accuracy are in its own league, with more hours going into master gunsmiths tuning and fitting each gun than any other gun at that time.

Why wouldn’t you want to own one then? Well, price obviously is an issue. They aren’t making them anymore and over at gunbroker prices start at well over one grand, even more for nickel plated and stainless steel guns.

While very well made and accurate, a Python isnt exactly a workhorse gun. Its more of a sports car than a truck. Even if it is a premium firearm, it needs to be cared for with certain regularity by a knowledgeable smith that knows how to work with Colts and there aren’t many of those around.
A defensive use gun? A Glock is far superior at a fraction of the price. If you need a revolver, a good S&W is just as good for defensive duty, tougher and again, way cheaper.
Ok, got that out of the way so why buy one then?

As expensive as it is, its still a 6 shot 357 magnum revolver, one of the finest ever made at that. For years they were proudly carried by police officers and it did serve them well. While not my first choice, you can do a lot worse than having a Colt Python in your night table!

At a time there was a Colt Python Hunter, targeting the outdoors market. If you have sharp eyes this is one of the most accurate revolvers ever made and more than up to the task of hunting. With good loads ranging from hot magnums to light 38 specials you have a broad spectrum from small to deer-sized game. The Python is also a favourite among target shooters.
The Colt Python is capable in all of these roles but so are other guns and a fraction of the price, what can it do that other guns cant?

How about be an all-time classic, the “The Cadillac Of Revolvers”?  Whatever you pay for one, chances are you’ll be able to sell it for as much and then some in the next few years. Few firearms will do that for you. There’s guns you buy new and a decade down the road you sell for less and theres other like the Python that retain if not increase in value.

When I left Argentina I had to sell some of my guns. Kept a fair share but parted with a few too. The money came in handy and let me tell you, it was better to make money than to lose money when selling guns when it came down to it. Not that different from a precious metal stash kept for a rainy day. If that rainy day ever comes you want the most cash for whatever it is you’re selling.
Even if you are not into “investment” guns, there’s also the heirloom quality of the thing to consider. I often read people commenting on guns they inherited or some fine firearm they will inherit some day. Its nice to know your children will have something of superior quality to remember you by and maybe pass it down the family to future generations.

Finally, maybe the most important reason to own a gun like this: Because you can.
Owning one of your “grail guns” is a darn nice. The Colt Python has the sweetest trigger. You can appreciate the legendary craftsmanship all over. It’s a pleasure to shoot the gun, even to just hold and stare at it for a while.

From a survival perspective it would seem that the strongest case for a gun like this is a financial one, but personally, I believe that the simple pleasure in ownership is its strongest point.
FerFAL

Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a collector, it is a very fine piece. As a range of target or hunting sidearm, it is equally suited to those tasks.

But I will still take a Smith & Wesson 686 or Ruger GP100 over a Python for everyday reliability. I have owned all 3 at one time or another. I still have my 6" gp100 stainless and 6" 686 plus (7shot) and have no regrets. 180gr WFNGC rounds are good enough for a vast majority of encounters.

Zombies don't really scare me.