.

Friday, December 14, 2018

The versatile, mighty 357 Magnum



I was reading recently about a man taking down a 679-pound bear at 5 yards with a 357 magnum handgun.

Soon after that I read about a woman and her baby daughter being killed by a Grizzly bear at a remote cabin in Canada’s Yukon territory. That woman could have used a good 357 magnum revolver no doubt.

How effective is a 357 magnum revolver against a bear, you ask? While some argue that a 44 magnum is the minimum they would carry, and sure enough many in Alaska carry a shotgun loaded with slugs for defense against bears, handguns in general are more effective than most people given them credit for. This article points towards a 97% success rate for handguns against bear, listing 37 actual cases, the caliber used and the outcome.

Caliber debate aside, if you do your part and shoot accurately and remember to keep up with follow up shots, not many creatures in this world with will keep coming at you with a chest or head full of 158 JSP magnum rounds.

This made me think of my own 357 magnums and why I like them so much. My 4” revolver in particular which my wife used recently at the range loaded first with 38s and then 357 magnum. What a versatile gun! You have enough flexibility with commercial ammo and for reloaders the options are even greater, from hot magnum rounds to light 38s for plinking, target practice of for taking small game with minimal meat damage.

The versatility in a good 357/38 revolver is undeniable. I know I talk about Glock almost as if I’m their sales representative. I’m not, I just see them for the great combat handguns that they are. But a good 357 magnum revolver has its merits too, both against two and four legged predators. Do your part and it’s a hunting gun too, as well as a fun time in the range. And of course it all gets so much better if you can throw a nice lever action 357 magnum carbine to the mix.

If you haven’t got one yet I suggest you keep an eye out for a good deal, maybe a nice old Smith & Wesson 27, 28 or 686, or maybe a Ruger GP100. 4” to 6” barrel length will do nicely.
Take care folks,

FerFAL

Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ferfal,

Check this out: https://www.dailycaller.com/2018/12/14/firearms-related-policy-research-done-right/

Unknown said...

I need a .357 .lol