.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Survival Clothes: SmartWool



I’ve posted before about my quest to find the complete, ideal clothes setup from a modern survivalist perspective. By this I mean, practical, functional, even tactical, without being “tacticool”. I don’t need digicam. I don’t need to look like a deer hunter. I need subdued colors, in good, functional fabrics. This logic should be applied to all clothes, from the socks you wear everyday to the jacket you grab before going through the door for a night out in town with friends. That’s what we’ll be on your back when you need it, when disaster strikes without warning. That’s your real survival clothes.
This is how I ended up interested in Merino wool, a natural fabric that is softer than ordinary wool, wicks moisture away from your body, keeps you both warm and fresh and has natural odor resistance even if wearing the same clothes for a few days. It is also a better option in terms of fire resistance than synthetics.

I tried Icebreaker t-shirts and I do like them. I will say they are a bit itchy, especially when wearing it at first. As minutes go by you notice it less but some people may be more sensitive than others. If that’s the case there’s still hope: Smartwool. Smartwool is merino with a special treatment that makes it less itchy while retaining the desired properties. How well does it work? Pretty good actually. Better than expected. It’s not cotton. There’s just a bit, a tad of itchiness at first, but its almost like cotton and it is better in the itchy department than Icebreaker.

FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have used Smartwool for years while backpacking. In addition to the things you have already mentioned, it just feels really good on the skin.
Remember, moths LOVE this stuff. I have lost two garments due to improper storage.
All the best.

0007 said...

How'zat work when the temp is 91 and the humidity is running around the same?