The UK government has a pretty basic but overall correct guideline for terrorist threats which consists of RUN, HIDE, TELL. It can of course be complemented with defensive skills, a carry weapon and a well selected EDC kit, which could be life saving. Still, sound advice:
- Escape if you can
- Consider the safest options
- Is there a safe route? RUN. If not, HIDE
- Can you get there without exposing yourself to greater danger?
- Insist others leave with you
- Leave belongings behind
- If you can't RUN, HIDE
- If you can see the attacker, they may be able to see you
- Find cover from gunfire such as substantial brickwork or heavy reinforced walls
- Be aware of your exits
- Try not to get trapped
- Be quiet, silence your phone
- Lock and barricade yourself in
- Move away from the door
- Call 911: What do the police need to know?
- Location: Where are the suspects?
- Direction: Where did you last see the suspects?
- Descriptions: Describe the attacker, numbers, features, clothing, weapons
- Provide further information: Casualties, type of injury, building information, entrances, exits, hostages
- And stop other people entering the building if it is safe to do so
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.