.

Monday, January 25, 2016

So last night I woke up to a 6.3 Earthquake!


It was a 6.3 that affected Malaga and most of the south of Spain. I’m further west from the more sismic area but still it woke my wife and I up. It kept shaking for a couple seconds then stopped. I found no damage of any kind in the house. Walking around town this morning there was zero damage as well so that’s good.

I talked with some folks here, who lived +40 years in the areaand have never seen anything like it. Supposedly there was a big one last week but I honestly didn’t notice it at all.
Just goes to show, be prepared, prepare for the small things and repare for the more serious, less likely ones as well. Do your homework. I did mine before moving here and I discarded some of the more active areas. Basically if a lot of people have died in the last 500 years I probably don’t want to risk it myself. The construction is of course much better these days than it was back then, so that helps. I can see how last nights earthquake could have easily collapsed some older buildings. Keep in mind that in Europe you can’t throw a dead cat without hitting something that is 1000 years old, so places like old churches or historic buildings can be dangerous.
Talking to people this morning it was clear that most simply didn’t know what to do during an earthquake. Many ran out of their houses to the sidewalk, which isn’t a good idea at all. It’s in the sidewalk and streets where most people get injured or killed due to collapsing materials on the front of the building. Unless the structure is at risk of collapsing, you’re better off staying inside.
FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

3 comments:

Joseph Fromm said...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/world/americas/argentina-scrambles-to-fight-biggest-plague-of-locusts-in-60-years.html?_r=0&referer=http://www.drudgereport.com/

Prepping for locusts

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are well, even minor earthquakes can be unnerving and surreal experiences.

Euhill said...

Phoenix got hit by a 4.1 earthquake in November. Minor but not something that normally happens here. These things are starting to become more common around the globe.