.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Answering some mail:

Hi everyone. Today I’ll try to answer a few of the most relevant emails. Too much mail and some questions are very interesting so I’ll try to catch up.
Please, I don’t mean to be an ass but try using the search function before asking some of the questions. Mostly regarding relocation and such, I’ve posted my opinion and others several times already. I’ll answer the emails on occasions with a link to such posts but sometimes I’ve got too much stuff going on.


Dear FerFal,

I have bought your book and found it to be a good read.

One particular part mentions modifying your machete by shortening it and adding a clip point. What kind of saw did you use? I don't have access to an electric saw and I suspect a manual saw will be tedious and a serious test of one's stamina.

Thanks

CK


Hi, I used an ordinary electric hand grinder, circular disc. It’s pretty cheap and one of those must have tools in your tool box, cuts steel like butter.
I’ve made a few knife attempts before, with more or less success but it was good practice.
Cutting a clip point in a machete makes it a much better stabbing tool.
Most machetes have the typical latin shape, with a rounded tip. This is safer but you lose the good stabbing potential.
Having said that, its not that had to cut the same clip curve with an ordinary metal saw (small teeth), some time, patience and stamina will get the job done! :-)
FerFAL


Fernando:

First, my wife and I purchased your book and have both read it. We were very impressed as to how sensible and verifiably accurate
the information is! It isn't far fetched as are some others we have encountered. we also faithfully frequent your blog.
My folks went through the crash of 29 and the 30's here, also my grandparents were witness to the crash in Germany. Their experiences
have helped us to see where things have been headed in the U.S.A. I, realize you live in B's A's and have more knowledge of the local situation, but
could you shed any light on the crime situation and economic status of the rural country? For instance Mendoza, Santiago Del Estro, and Patagonia. The reason that I ask is
we are coming to Argentina for a few weeks this spring and will be traveling through out the country. Also, rural areas as I understand usually fare better than
the cities.



Keep up the great work
Regards
Lyle


Mendoza has some serious crime problems, Santiago del Estero has severe poverty so even though there’s little population, crime is bad considering how lightly populated the province is.
Patagonia is usually safer, its largely deserted, places like La Pampa have low crime rates. The further south you go, usually its safer. It gets more deserted, climate is harsh in winter.
If you want my humble advice, I usually recommend people to stick to well known tourist locations. Visit Buenos Aires, Mendoza, go to Bariloche, Salta if you what to go up north, but stay within the capital cities, don’t go solo trying to do the local life experience. Youre’ not local dude, they will know it a mile away and suppose you have more money on you than they’ve ever seen.
Don’t get me wrong. My country is beautiful, but even in Buenos Aires, the wrong turn in Buenos Aires highways may land you in places where, if lucky, you walk out butt naked.
If you still want to do this, stick to main highways, again, stay within the main cities and look for a guide there to visit the surroundings.
I’ll try posting today about the Pomar family case, dieing right next to the road after a car accident, found 24 days later and just 40 km away from their home. These things don’t happen in 1st world countries, but here they do.
Rural Argentina maybe safer than the city, or not. You just dont know and it varies from place to place. That's why I repeat again, staying within known safe locations is you best bet.

FerFAL


Fernando,

First, I really enjoy your blog, it is nice to see someone who is not all about having the latest gee-whiz survival gadget and actually hear from someone that has gone through what I think awaits us here in the US in coming months. At any rate I do have a question:

How is medical care being handled in Argentina now? How was the availability and quality of care affected by the collapse? My wife is diabetic and dependant on blood thinners, we keep an extra 90day supply of insulin in rotation so that at any given time we have a minimum of 120 days on hand of insulin and blood thinner.


Any thoughts or ideas as it relates to this??

Thanks

Russ



Hi Russ, we supposedly have free medicine in Argentina. Cutting to the chase, its better than nothing I suppose but you're as good as dead if you have any serious problem.
If you want good ( not very good or excellent just good medicine) you have to pay for it. I have private health plan Swiss Medical Group, I pay for it and its expensive but at least we know we are covered and have unlimited access to the best clinics in the country if we need them. We did need them several times for my son so yes, absolutely needed and I'm glad I have it for my family.
My son would be dead if we didn't have private medical health when he had chronic gastroenteritis. They only figured it out thanks to the private medicine plan we have.

FerFAL

No comments: