It was pretty enlightening to hear Francisco de Narváez today on TV.
Talking about the huge crime problem we have in Argentina some of the things he said made me feel less paranoid, while others made me feel a bit naïve.
First, only ¼ of the actual crimes get reported. We’re talking about home invasions robberies, etc. Serious stuff that would land you in jail but here, getting mugged at gunpoint doesn’t deserve the waste of time of going to the police station. Home invasion or a brake in? No one takes prints. That’s stuff seen on cable TV.
Think good old FerFAL is BSing you? Stay with me for a second longer.
You see, this is what my gut instinct has been telling me for many years now, and what I’ve transmitted to you, my faithful reader: The feeling, the sensation that here, we have to fend for ourselves.
Why do I have this sensation?
Well, because as De Narvaez explained today, out or 4000 crimes that get reported (remember, only ¼ only get reported at all) only 7, that’s right just 7 out of 4000 crimes get resolved at all, with the criminal ending up behind bars.
In case you don’t have your calculator near by, that means that 99.825% of the crimes committed go unpunished. Its VERY easy to become a bandido in Argentina. You have to be drop dead stupid to end up behind bars… or innocent.
Makes sense. Usually, when I mention some of the terrible crimes committed in my country, there’s rarely ever a follow up news with the criminals getting caught. Even worse, sometimes they just put in jail some guys with a criminal history they just manage to get their hands on, but eventually get released or even worse, get convicted for something they didn’t do. This happens often enough, we have a term for this, the infamous “perejil” , the guy that has no funds, no friends and happened to be on the wrong place at the wrong time, cops put the blame on him and throw him in a cell. There we go community, we caught the bad guy! People relax, maybe a couple years later the guy gets released, but hey they got the angry crowd off their backs back then.
Lets cover all this wonderful stuff with hot chocolate syrup, ok?:
Only 7% of the Argentine border is monitored by radar. For the other 93% planes full of drugs or guns can fly back and fourth as the want.
Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, all neighboring countries, they have 100% of their borders covered. But once they get to our side, nothing. No one cares, no one is controlling. For this reason Argentina is now one of the largest producers and distributors of drugs of all kinds in Latin America.
So yes my friends, I’m not nuts and Argentina is as messed up as I’ve always said.
In spite of all this we keep going.
As I got home tonight, 9 PM, I watched the city: People rushing home, scared, looking all around them. Cars speeding, ignoring traffic signs. The few pharmacies left opened, doing business through closed barred doors.
Yesterday there was a big car accident in front of my home. I called 911 (yes, here too) I was put on hold. Got tired of waiting and hanged up. An ambulance drove by but was heading somewhere else. Both cars were totaled but the passengers where ok, one of the cars ended up crashing against a house, throwing down a sign and tree.
This happens often because as I said before, when it gets dark people just ignore traffic lights because of the robberies.
That’s how we live her my friends, take care and good luck.