.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fire Starting Implements

Urban or wilderness survival, it doesnt matter, the ability to start a fire is just as important.
Its use as way of keeping warm, cooking, signaling and the psychological comfort it provides during times of emotional struggle, a tool for starting fire is part f the “sacred triad” of everyday carry tools along with a knife and flashlight.
In this video I explore a few options for starting fires.




UCO Stormproof Match Case Kit – Dark Green

Survival Matches, Bulk Tube, NATO Approved (# 9920-00-966-9432), Military

Swedish Firesteel – Army Model, Black Handle

Jarden Home Brands 2235 "Diamond" Kitchen Match Strike On


Join the forum discussion on this post!
FerFAL

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in a wooded area near a national forest. I have a fire kit in my bugout bag and in my fanny pack that I carry when I'm traveling. But lately I have decided I need something better. A worse case scenario for me will be starting a fire in the woods in a downpour in the wind and cold. Every fire kit I've ever seen would fail this test. I heat with wood so I start a fire every day (sometimes twice a day) in ideal conditions and indeed sometimes it takes more then one match or a second application of tinder. My new standard will be that the kit itself can be soaking wet and the fire must start and sustain in a rainstorm.

Brass said...

Anon, try cotton balls lightly dipped in Vaseline. Put a spark to that, and they'll go right up.

buddie.sax said...

magnifying glass works well if it is sunny.

water storage tanks said...

My brother made himself this little flint that works only on rough surfaces though. When striked against a smooth one, it doesn't create any sort of spark.

Dan said...

No one else noticed that the matches Ferfal linked to on Amazon cost $45?!?