.

Thursday, September 8, 2016

What news sources can you Trust?

Hi Fernando, love your book and blog. What sources of news do you trust and follow for international and US news?  Same question for economic information. Thanks  -Rick
.
Hi Rick. Thanks, glad you liked my book.
I try to read several news outlets so as to gather information as objectively as possible. Every news source has its own agenda, some more noticeable and more extremist than others. This chart gives you an idea of what to expect.
Pew political charts
http://www.businessinsider.com/here-are-the-most-and-least-trusted-news-outlets-in-america-2014-10
Usually I start with a news widget in my cell phone that shows me headlines from various outlets including CNN, AP, CBS, Slate, Fox and Yahoo News just to mention some.
In general I balance CNN, BBC, Fox, but also check RT and Al Jazeera along with local media sources from wherever it is that I am. I can’t say I trust much any of them. It’s the collection of them which I try to look through to learn the truth of whats going on out there.
You have to know what to expect from each one, know their bias. That way its easier to distil the actual news.
FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

3 comments:

Totalinvestor said...


“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

― Mark Twain

Anonymous said...

Ferfal there are no conservative news outlets in America. Perhaps 8chan /pol/ but otherwise nothing.

Change your chart from "liberal/conservative" to "liberal/pro business liberal" and it would be more accurate.

Anonymous said...

I question this "poll" of trust. Everyone I know doesn't trust the media at all unless it's just straight factual reporting (like C-span). Especially since this election, where it has become clear the media has an agenda.I'd say that most savvy young adults and teens view the media as a big government propaganda tool which has blown it's cover.