.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Reply: Changes in Survival & Preparedness as you Grow Older


Now that I'm older, just turned 61, this video was for me. Thank you for bringing up this delicate subject most like to avoid. Though I'm in good health, physically fit, eat right. Ect., I have noticed pronounced changes in the last few years. Namely, eyesight is less focused, slower in moving, get tired more easily and temperament.

Just the way it is! A couple of things besides those mentioned is taking supplements.
Number one is for joint health, which has glucosamine, chondroitin, some brands have additional boosters like vitamin D. It something I've taken for decades, start young, pays dividends later on. Yes, exercise is critical, move around and stretch!

For me, light yoga and minimum walk at least one hour a day (3miles).
A little trot run to speed it up for a hour is better.

I've read we age in spurts, so be prepared for a lot of change in a short time frame. We don't like to face it but when the hair gets sparse on top of the head and your eyelids droop so it affects your eyesight, one is forced to deal with the change. In my case, preparing for the day when I have to get an eyelids lift procedure.

Being without children, I will have to create an extended family. Translation, perhaps again going back to sharing a resident. That means being active maybe in church religious, social clubs ect.
Oh, thumbs up for the recommendation on DOGS...important, yes the are excellent security measure and company.

Lastly, it can really suck getting old, so learn how to keep a smile on your face!
I read amateur runners in a long distance run preformed better when they smiled while doing it!
Attitude works wonders.

Thanks again and looking to reading your next book, Ferfal.
-A
.


Thanks, thank you for your honesty and observations.

Yes, attitude is essential in all stages of life but it seems to be even more so the older we grow. You just have to stay positive and active. Some of the older people I admire the most work harder than many that are ¼ their age. There’s some 80 year olds out there that wake up every morning excited about the day ahead of them and that makes all the difference in the world.

Sharing residency sounds like a very good idea. Not sure how it works but I see how splitting bills between two or three people helps a lot. You also have other people for company, help one another and think of ways of staying busy. We often complain about other people and prefer to be alone (I know I do) but at the end of the day we are social creatures and not meant to be alone.
Take care and good luck!

FerFAL

Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”

No comments: