.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Guns vs Cash


Fernando,
Hoping life in Ireland finds you and yours doing well.
I'm in need of advice from someone who has actually lived through a real economic collapse, unlike these fiction writers.
I live in the USA where I believe for religious and factual reasons we're heading down the same road your country went through. (Excellent book, btw.)
My question is this; I own a Springfield M-1A in .308 caliber and since I'm now in my early fifties and not in the best of shape, I'm not seeing a need for this rifle in a collapse scenario. I'm not gonna be running around in the woods playing civil war 2. Though my wife and I do live out in the country about five miles from town which is the only reason I can see for maybe needing one.
I'm in need of cash for vehicle repair right now and I'm thinking since the rifle and its accessories don't really fit my lifestyle, what's your opinion on keeping it?
Thanks for your time and God bless you and your family.
William

Hello William,
Thanks for the well wishes and I’m glad you liked my book.
I’ve bought and sold more guns than I can remember. In general I haven’t regretted selling them, mostly because I was getting something I wanted even more, but to be honest there are a few I wish I had kept. If you have a gun you particularly like, especially if it’s a rare collectible and hard to find again, then it makes sense to try to keep it and not part with it.
Having said that, from a practical point of view chances are that, as you well said, you won’t be fighting Civil War II any time soon and pretty much 99% of your defensive needs can be covered with a good handgun. I do recommend having a rifle too though, but if you are needing the money now and your M-1A can provide the funds needed you can sell it, then later down the road you can get a good working AK or some other affordable semi auto rifle when you find one at a good price.
Hope that makes sene!
FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

It would be easy to keep a general 'semi auto mag fed rifle' yet cash out some value in this situation if you want to. Sell your M1A for $2,500ish and buy a Yugo M70 for $600.

Anonymous said...

Due to an accident, I currently have use of only one arm. I will be ok in a couple of months, but at the moment my current semi handgun and my shotgun are largely useless for home defense. Am looking for a small-ish revolver. Never expected to be in such a position, and am kicking myself for not thinking forward enough to account for potential scenarios such as this.
I share this because its good to learn from mistakes, but even better to learn from the mistakes of others... ;)