.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hidden safe

Blogger that wishes to remain anonymous,
I can’t edit your comments or the person posting, I can only either publish a comment or reject it, sorry.:)

What you can do is post anonymously, I think you have it as an option before posting a comment.

I’ll reject your two comments because if I publish them, they’ll show the nick name.(remember, I can’t change that)

About your question. It’s a good idea to have a “visible” safe, and a second, smaller one hidden. I saw this in an apartment I once had and I think it’s a terrific idea.
If you even get caught, you can open and give up the contents of your “safe”, no one will imagine you have a second one hidden.
These safes go into the ground or inside walls, preferably placed inside masonry walls when the structure is being built.
In the floor under the carpet is also a good idea. This is where I’d keep my PM stash and paper money, plus a few other “essentials”.
A small fireproof safe would do.

You mention people in Cambodia sewing gold into the straps of their backpacks. Nice, but backpacks are often stolen.

SAS agents during WWII had another method, they had a compartment that was hidden inside the shoe, a strap of leather with several small gold coins. This went inside the shoe under the padding sole.

FerFAL

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people have argued that you can have two types of hiding places.

One type is hidden and unlikely to be found in a casual search and is easily accessible. E.g, a safe hidden behind a painting.

However, by being accessible such hiding places can be found by a disciplined and intense search. I.e, someone who divides up a room by physical sections and makes measurements to ensure that he has covered every bit of space.

If you have high value items (e.g, gold coins) which you do not need to access very often, then you may consider the Second type of hiding place. Which is very unlikely to be found but is very inaccessible.

Example: You use a chisel to carve out a hole six inches deep in a concrete floor, put a container with the coins in the bottom of hole, and then pour concrete into the hole to fill it up and then smooth the top of the hole to make it indistinguishable from the surrounding floor.

How many tax collectors are going to use a jackhammer to dig up concrete floors unless they know for sure something is there? Reinforcing steel in the floor will disrupt any metal detectors.

On the other hand, if your wife decides shortly thereafter that she needs some of the coins to go shopping you have a problem.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think it would be hard to make the concrete floor look right again. It would show the work you did.

It there were a tile floor over that work though.... That would be a lot more discreet. You'd have to break a tile to get into it (and hammer the concrete), but you'd have a much better hiding place.

Anonymous said...

FerFal,

I want to say that I greatly appreciate everything that you've written and the knowledge that you've shared. I've read your blog from start to current times. As a "prepper" here in the US, you've helped me gain practical knowledge of what really happens when SHTF and you have to go on with life.

A question for you: I've been looking to get a dog for some time, and because of your posts I became very interested in the Dogo Argentino. After a ton of research, I've since found a breeder and will be a proud owner of a Dogo pup in a couple of months. After talking with my better half about a proper name, I've decided to ask you what a good, respectable Argentinian name for him would be. Any ideas?

Thanks again for sharing all of your experience with us, especially given the current situation around the world.

smallenginepower said...

hear some hidden safes http://hiddensafe.blogspot.com/