.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Concealed carry


Buenas dias, Mr. Aguirre!

I was intrigued by your post on carrying the full-sized Glock for better control (grip). Could you say more about "the right belt" and holsters and clothes and any other techniques you favor? I'm 5' 7", medium build and would prefer to carry my full-size S&W M&P if it's a reasonable possibility.

Also, thank you for the book! And best wishes to you and your family!

Steve



Hi, thanks for your email Steve,
Whenever you think your gun is too big, compare it to the good old 1911.
There’s good leather here and good craftmen as well, my favorite holster is a hard molded leather one made by Zafra. I also have a few cheapo nylon ones that have done the job ok (not perfect, but ok).

The difference between a “gun belt” and a regular leather belt is that the gun belt is usually of better grade, more rigid. A dressing belt will usually be more flimsy and won’t support the weight of the gun well.
The belt and holster should be bought taking both into consideration since you don’t want loops too big or too small for your belt, they should both be tight and work like a solid unit.
Milt Sparks has both good belts and holsters.
http://www.miltsparks.com/
The ones most often made here by locals are similar to those, of course, price here is much better :D

I’ve been hearing notihng but good things about Blade-tech IWB holsters and I’ve been trying to find one on ebay for my Glock for a while.
http://www.blade-tech.com/Holsters-c-253.html
The nice thing is that they don’t catch sweat like leather does.
As for clothes, a slightly larger tshirt does fine. It depends also on your body shape. Some people wear a vest of some kind (photographer’s or other) just to help conceal. A light jacket achieves the same result.

During wintertime, make sure you don’t burry your gun under a ton clothes.

I believe it was Leroy Thompson that mentioned that for his security detail, when wearing suits, he had his tailor add a patch of thick fabric where the gun was carried , both to protect the fabric of the suit and avoid “printing” of the weapon against the thinner suit fabric.

For winter, pocket carrying a snubby revolver, preferably hammerless or make sure to rest your thumb on the hammer as you draw( to avoid getting it tangled) or sucompact Glock as backup is a pretty good idea: Winter, hands in your pocket all the time… you can’t ask for faster than that.

FerFAL

10 comments:

BulgarWheat said...

I like the Fobus paddle with my Glock G23 anytime of the year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferfal,

you also talk about carring a weapoin concealed in your book, but also that this is forbidden by the law in your country. So what you do when there is police control or things like that? Is this somehow tolerated?

thx and best greates from Austria

Peter

Ryan said...

I like the small pistol in the coat pocket for winter. The draw might be iffy if you reach your hand in and grab but if your hand is already on the handle it is hard to get much faster than that. I used it in the winter for awhile with my little .38

Don Williams said...

1) Ferfal, do you have any opinions re the value of a thumbbreak holster --i.e, one where a strap covers the firing pin and is fastened with a snap which is opened with the thumb on during the draw --

versus one without a retaining strap?

2) I've noticed that policemen here in the USA often have thumbbreak holsters -- supposedly to guard again a criminal grabbing their gun and also to keep the gun from falling out of the holster (and into the hands a criminal's buddies) while wrestling with a suspect.

3) Some people who are uncomfortable with carrying a 1911 45 ACP "cocked and locked" have also pointed out the additional safety with having a strap between the hammer and firing pin.

4) However, having to unsnap the strap with the thumb during the draw is an additional complication that can go wrong. So I see merit in the simple, opentop holster as well.

Thoughts?

Joseph said...

Don,

I don't carry (yet) but have heard of pistols falling out of holsters that do not have a retaining method of some time. Personally, I'd have to go with a retaining strap, as I would not trust just friction retention. Body heat, moisture, etc. would all affect how well friction retention works, I'd think.

Jack said...

I also wear the Fobus Paddle Holster with my Glock 19 at any time of the year, and it works great. The holster's molding secures the firearm by the trigger guard. There is no external safety strap, and I don't think it needs one. Made of polymer and only costs about $22.

Anonymous said...

I carry my Glock 26 with a Blackhawk SERPA holster. It is an active retention design and has a very fast and natural draw. I tried many holsters for my G26 and settled on the Blackhawk.

Fredo said...

The majority of the time, I use my crossbreed holster. When I might be open carrying, I use a SERPA CQC holster. When I want basically no chance of flashing someone, I use thunderwear.

Don Williams said...

thanks for the info, guys

KeithC said...

I highly recommend - and use - a Milt Sparks "Watch Six" for my G30 & G19 and Comp-Tac CTAC for my G19 (although I'll probably be "asking Santa" for another one for the G30). Molded leather and kydex, respectively, and no retention problems - though I don't think I'd feel comfortable hanging upside down and bouncing or anything.... :P