.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Quick Points Regarding Street Personal Security

Mother’s Day here, but wanted to make a quick post.

1)Dress accordingly: If for some reason I’ll be walking around a dangerous part of town I’d dress accordingly. Well worn jeans, a couple holes wont hurt, a visibly worn t shirt, (at least slightly faded color, and again, a little hole here and there wont hurt) work shoes, worn, and water bag you’re carrying should match: faded color, I prefer green, black blue or brown, a color that doesn’t catch the eye as much.

2) LOOK like a hard target:
Look alive. Look as if you can handle yourself. Of course age, gender and disabilities are things we can’t control, but we can do our best to compensate. Instructor Baigorria insisted on that during the CQC class: Look alive, aware. Visibly check your surroundings, the people all around you. Stand up straight, head slightly down as in a boxer’s stance, hands on position 2,3 or 4. Preferably position 4 (or a slight variation) , hands at shoulder height ready to move. (yes, its just a quick thing I made on paint to show what I mean)
So, LOOK like a hard target.


3) BE a hard target: No better way to look like a hard target than actually be one. I’m thirty and even though I have some training I never competed or did any of this at a serious amateur or professional level. I’d get my butt kicked against a 25 year old guy that has been practicing Tai boxing, and mixed martial arts for the last couple years at a serious, semi professional level. But then again that not my objective. The point of practicing at that level is that it gives me an edge against those that don’t.

4)Be aware of your personal space: At sidewalk ranges this is much more difficult. But still, you should be aware none the less. When someone walks past you on the opposite direction he’s still entering your personal space. BE aware of that. Unless the person is a 5 year old or a 90 year old grandma on a wheel chair, he/she is a potential threat and, due to urban situations, you can’t avoid them. That doesn’t mean that the person can't jump on you, stab you on the back or do watherever he/she wants as he/she moves behind your back when walking past you. Very vulnerable situation. The little red light ,“Awareness Inc.” made installed in your brain should be ready. Move as far away as you can, give enough space, be ready for the unexpected. It will no longer be unexpected if you do so.
You can’t avid these situations, but you can be aware of the concept of personal space and what it implies when someone is within it.

5)Be armed: With whatever you can. And keep in mind a handgun is a ranged weapon, for very close to contact range you’ll need a knife (by the way, in Argentina you CAN carry any knife, there’s no law regulating the carry of any kind of knife) In other places were this isn’t so find out what you can carry, knives, blunt weapons or improvise with some hardware store tools if there’s nothing else. But be armed. Being armed gives you that edge you need to have a chance when against several opponents or against a better fighter.

FerFAL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So no walking around with your hands in your pockets or arms at your sides? What if the hand in the pocket is wrapped around a knife? Isn't that a ready position?

Having your arms up is an elevated level I haven't had to go to much lately, but there are more and more wacko's in the world it seems and deperate people look like any other ordinary person so I've begun to just treat everyone as though they were a possible threat. Once someone passes by in a store or something I often find myself looking back and sideways just a bit to keep an eye on them until they get a bit of distance between us, if they linger too long I turn around completley and size them up and let them know I notice them and try to determine if they are doing anything out of the ordinary and I don't stop looking in their direction until they have either passed me or turned around and go the other way. Not all the time, but more often than I did in the past.

Georjina said...

I agree with Anonymous #1, especially for women. Oh, and creeping too close to my 80 year old mother will get you shot - she owns and knows how to use her Glock mini.

I don't know if you've heard of these guys but their training is spot on: http://www.targetfocustraining.com/

The videos don't do justice to the actual training, senior citizens and 10 year olds are prepared mentally with their training.

Besides, being mentally prepared is half the battle. Too many people can say what they 'would' do until it actually happens, then they freeze or panic. Like to know your thoughts on this.